The link to a
The hydrogen pipeline for the Port of Rotterdam
HyTransPort is a new hydrogen pipeline through the Port of Rotterdam and is a collaboration between the Port of Rotterdam Authority and HyNetwork Services. This hydrogen pipeline will form the backbone of the hydrogen infrastructure in Rotterdam. The pipeline will connect to the national and international hydrogen network in the future. There will also be a connection to Chemelot in Limburg, North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany and other European regions.Read more about the project
The port and the (heavy) industry located here have less than 30 years to become CO2 neutral. In 2020, more than 22 megatonnes of CO2 were emitted (approx 14% of the Dutch emissions). At least half of the CO2 emissions will have to have be reduced by 2030 in order to meet the climate targets. The effort to reduce the CO2 needs all the help it can get.
When the 2-gigawatt conversion park in the Port of Rotterdam for the production of green hydrogen is fully utilised, this will reduce almost 3 megatonnes of CO2 emissions annually for the hydrogen customers.
A hydrogen pipeline will not in itself result in a CO2 reduction; the pipeline is, however, a precondition. By constructing the HyTransPort, CO2 neutral hydrogen can be supplied and utilised. The ability to transport large volumes of hydrogen through the port is an incentive for the industry to produce and use CO2 neutral hydrogen.
HyTransPort will be a so-called open access pipeline, accessible to all companies that transport hydrogen. The main transport pipeline is large enough to transport the expected import of hydrogen as well as the the green hydrogen that is generated in the port.
Why opt for hydrogen?
The basis for a sustainable future
Rotterdam is the most important energy port in Europe. HyTransPort is the pipeline that will make and maintain the Port of Rotterdam as the most important green energy port in Europe. It is good for employment and the climate.
For the industries in Rotterdam and in Northwest Europe hydrogen is an important energy carrier, fuel and raw material necessary to create and maintain sustainability.
- Hydrogen is the clean alternative to heavy industrial processes where wind energy or solar energy are not enough.
- Hydrogen is a suitable CO2-neutral fuel for mobility (heavy transport, shipping and aviation).
- Hydrogen is a raw material for, among other things, fertilisers and plastics. The grey hydrogen (hydrogen that releases CO2 during the production process) that is currently used here for that purpose will have to be replaced by CO2-neutral hydrogen.
- Hydrogen can be used for heat production for industry, offices, shops and homes.
- Hydrogen can be stored and makes it possible to capture peak and off-peak sustainably generated energy.